Natural Pain Relief and Holistic TreatmentsFree Consultation
Dealing with chronic pain on a daily basis is no way to live. It greatly impacts your quality of life and keeps you from doing everyday tasks and the activities you really want to be doing. Here at Regain Functional Medicine, we see several patients who are dealing with this very issue. They either have joint pain, neck pain, back pain, or pain associated with arthritis. Although it may seem logical to treat pain with prescription pain medication, that’s not always the best solution. Remember, pain medication only mutes the symptoms temporarily. It doesn’t address the root issue of what’s causing your pain.
At Regain Functional Medicine, we have devised several ways for patients to treat their pain using holistic, all-natural methods that are safe, effective, and non-addictive. Pain management doctors can help you alleviate your pain on a permanent or semi-permanent basis if you follow their directives.
Step #1 of Pain Management – Get Educated
In order to treat pain, you have to know as much about your condition as possible. Pain that is caused by arthritis versus pain that is caused by a sports-related injury will be treated quite differently, so it’s always a good idea to learn everything you can about your joint pain, neck pain, or back pain.
The best and quickest way to do this is by getting in touch with the team at Regain Functional Medicine. We can give you a thorough examination and find out the root cause of your issue. Once we’ve done that, we can advise on what to do next so that you can find relief.
Step #2 of Pain Management – Implementing Good Habits
Pain can come on slowly for any number of reasons. A handful of bad habits that we don’t notice in our daily lives can add up to a big problem such as neck or back pain. That’s why it’s important to take note of the little adjustments you can make that will help prevent your pain. Here are some of the most popular ones:
- Weight loss: Did you know that being overweight is one of the leading causes of hip, knee, and joint pain in the ankles? That’s because our joints are designed to only handle so much weight. By being overweight, you can put undue stress on your joints, thus, damaging them. Keeping a healthy weight keeps joints healthy as well.
- Smoking: The act of smoking is generally bad for your entire body. It damages the lungs, increases the likelihood of cancer, and lowers your immune system. It also puts stress on your connective tissues, which can increase arthritis pain.
- Activity: Getting daily activity is one of the easiest and most basic ways to ensure that your muscles stay strong and your joints stay active. If you’re suffering from joint pain, this may seem counterintuitive. However, activity is actually proven to help decrease pain symptoms that one would experience in their joints, neck, or back. Try to get at least 30 minutes of activity per day. Engage in low-impact exercises such as walking, swimming, cycling, yoga, or stretching. Engaging in high-impact routines may make your neck pain, back pain, or joint pain worse.
Step #3 of Pain Management – At-Home Methods of Reducing Pain and Inflammation
Joint pain treatments are wide and varied. Ideally, you don’t want to find yourself in a situation where you’re depending on prescription medication just to get through the day. At Regain Functional Medicine, we take the holistic approach to pain management. Here are a few methods that you can use to help reduce joint pain and inflammation.
- Heat and ice therapy: Heat and ice are usually the first course of action for pain management. By immersing your joint in either heat or cold you can reduce pain and inflammation. Since everyone’s joint pain is a little bit different, we suggest that you experiment with heat and cold to see which one works best for you.
- Massage therapy: Massage is a great way to temporarily relieve aches and pains associated with certain muscle groups or with joints. Make sure to tell your massage therapist what specific parts of your body are giving you issues so that they can target them.
- Relaxation therapy: Pain is in the mind, and with relaxation therapy, you’ll use techniques that harness the body’s healing powers, such as with yoga, meditation, and breathing techniques. Even if you’re not in pain, relaxation therapy is a great way to shed the stress of your daily routine.
- Acupuncture: Some people have found that acupuncture is an efficient way to minimize their pain and symptoms of inflammation in their joints. Keep in mind, acupuncture is not designed to be a one-and-done therapy. It can take several weeks before a person begins to see the true benefits that acupuncture offers.
- OTC meds: Over-the-counter medication is sometimes essential to reduce the symptoms of pain and inflammation with joints. Tylenol, Advil, and other similar OTCs are fine to use temporarily for pain relief.
Contact Regain Functional Medicine Today for Pain Management
Finding the right pain management treatment for you can be a process of trial and error. Fortunately, the team at Regain Functional Medicine has years of experience working with several patients who are dealing with joint pain, neck pain, and back pain. Whatever the cause of your pain, we can find you an all-natural and effective solution.